Saturday, May 2, 2015

Aapam Recipe (without yeast)


Aapam is a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut. It is an authentic South Indian breakfast/dinner recipe and more popular in Tamilnadu, Kerela and also in Srilanka. Aapam is generally served with coconut milk flavored with cardamom & sugar. It can also be served with any chutney or vegetable korma too.

Aapam is one of the favorite breakfast for Sashu and also me. So I make sure to prepare it atleast once in a month. Aapam with coconut milk makes me feel heaven in the mouth:) Whenever I make Aapam it never fails. I always get a super soft spongy Aapams without even adding yeast. As we have coiled stove, the deep curved Aapam pan doesn't work here. So I use the usual non-sticky pan for making aapams. That's why I didnt get the deep curved aapam with crispy ends just like in restaurants. But I prefer spongy aapam than the crispy one.

Aapam Recipe

Preparation time : 4 hrs | Cooking time : 2-3 mins
Category : Breakfast | Cuisine : South Indian

Ingredients

Raw rice (I use long grained rice) - 2 cups
Idly rice - 1 cup
Urad dhal - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
Methi (Fenugreek) - 1/4 tsp
Coconut (Scrapped) - 1/2 cup
Baking soda (optional) - a tiny pinch
Salt

Method

1. Wash and soak the raw rice, idly rice, urad dhal and methi seeds all together for minimum 4 hours.

2. Grind it to a smooth paste along with the scrapped coconut and required salt.

3. Allow it to ferment overnight or atleast 8 hrs.

4. After it got fermented, add a pinch of baking soda (optional) for a more puffy aapam.

5. If the batter is thick, add little water to it and mix it well.The consistency of the batter should be little thinner than the dosa batter.

6. Heat the aapam pan or any other non-sticky pan. Pour the batter to the centre of the pan and rotate the pan to spread all around. Now keep the flame in medium and cover it with a lid.

7. After few seconds you can see the aapam got cooked. Don't flip it on the other side.

Aapam is ready to serve. Serve hot with coconut milk, Coconut chutney or Korma.

Points to be noted

  • Follow the accurate measurements of the ingredients given above to get soft spongy aapams.
  • If you are not adding coconut while grinding, you can even add the coconut milk to the batter.
  • I suggest you to use long grained rice. From my experience, it gives you more soft aapams than the sona masoori rice. 
  • Fermentation depends upon the weather conditions of the place where you live. As I live in a cold place I always grind the batter in the evening and allow it to ferment overnight. If you are in a hot place, I think the batter gets fermented in 7-8 hours or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment